Keep Learning Student Support FAQs

COVID-19: CARES Act aid now available for eligible S&T students

Missouri S&T students who are eligible for financial assistance through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) may apply for this aid through S&T’s student financial assistance (SFA) office.

What online services are available through the Career Opportunities and Employer Relations (COER)?

For COER services go to Students may schedule appointments and career advising via Zoom video conferencing or email.

Students can also schedule resume reviews, job negotiations, practice interviews, career consultations and more via distance technology. For more information about our services visit To schedule an online appointment email or 573-341-4343.

Can I still get assistance through Student Disability Services?

Yes. Student Disability Services will continue to be available for appointments through Zoom or phone. To setup an appointment or to ask a question, contact us at or 573-341-6655.

How do I request new or additional accommodations?

Students who do not currently have accommodations should visit and follow the instructions under the “New Students” heading.

Students who currently have accommodations and need to request additional accommodations should sign into minerAccess and click the “Accommodation Modification Request Form” on the left side of the screen. Click the “Submit New Application” option, answer the questions, and then click “Submit Application.”

Student Disability Services will review the accommodation requests and schedule an interview. At this time, interviews are being conducted by phone or through Zoom. Students with questions may contact us at or (573) 341-6655.

What do I do if I need to request a modification to my existing accommodation?

Students can modify accommodations on their faculty notification letters by signing into minerAccess and selecting “Modify Request” for each letter. They can then select or deselect accommodations and click “Update Request.” Modified letters should then be provided to course instructors.

What if I have questions or concerns about my financial aid?

Remember to review your financial aid information in Joe’ss and contact Student Financial Assistance Office with questions. We can be reached by email at or by phone appointment at 573-341-4282. If you have questions about Federal Student Aid, you may find answers at

How can I submit documents to Student Financial Assistance Office at this time?

The best way to submit documents is through the Secure File Uploader through Joe’ss. You can find more information as well as instructions here:

I am participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. How will my work schedule be impacted?

We encourage you to speak with your supervisor for guidance. If you are concerned that you will need additional assistance should you not be able to work, please contact the Student Financial Assistance Office.

How will I take tests?

  • Instructors will be communicating through Canvas.
  • Instructors are reviewing various testing options that will yield the same learning results as monitored testing through ProctorU. This includes non-monitored testing (i.e. open books, notes, take-home exams, timed tests, or Canvas quizzes).

Can I access Testing Center services?

For details, go to the Testing Center website. If you need additional information about testing, please contact or (573) 341-4222.

Where do I find online tutoring or coaching?

Online tutoring and coaching are available through the Student Success Center

Other tutoring options available: